In early 2021, we rolled out a Workflower solution which allows hospitals to register their employees’ vaccinations. This vaccination data is secured and automatically transmitted to Vaccinnet. This process also makes it possible for healthcare organizations to see the vaccination rate of their staff at any given moment.
As a supplement to the electronic patient record, we are now setting up a similar solution to record patient vaccination data.
Employee vaccination registration
This vaccination solution allows you to register non-compulsory vaccinations, for example for COVID-19 or the flu. Here’s how it works:
- You can upload a CSV file containing a list of all the employees (or other people who have a relationship with the hospital). When they present themselves for vaccination, you can select them from the database using their badge or personnel number.
- However, if you do not work with personnel files, or if an employee is not found in the database, you can enter their national registry number. The application will then retrieve the data that is required by Vaccinnet from ConsultRN. If the patient is not registered there, either, you can then manually record the data. So, now there is also a solution for non-residents.
- You can work in batches. To complete the registration, all you need to do is select the employee (most efficiently using bar-code scanning) and then choose the appropriate vaccine, if more than one vaccine is active for that vaccine type.
- Once an employee’s vaccination has been submitted, you can start with the following entry. The result is an exceptionally quick data registration and workflow.
- The solution knows how many times a certain type of vaccine must be administered and takes this into account when designating a vaccination cycle as complete. In the new version, it is also possible to define cycles with 1 or 2 administrations per cycle.
- You can also keep track of any reactions to a vaccine.
- Workflower only stores the data required for Vaccinnet and ensures that the data is transmitted to this platform. This is especially handy for vaccinations that are reimbursed by the government.
- Within the application, you can also record the fact that an employee has been vaccinated outside the hospital, for example when a nurse is temporarily seconded to a residential care center and is vaccinated there. This allows you to have the most accurate vaccination rate data at all times.
- You can generate several overview lists. You can also see the vaccination rate of your employees – for the whole hospital, for a specific department or position etc. – at a glance. You can then export this data to the hospital’s BI solution.
Throughout the process, all data is and remains secured and shielded; only authorised persons have access to it. This allows you to comply with data privacy regulations.
“By using the vaccination flow in Workflower, we have been able to implement a fast and stable solution in a very limited time, taking into account all the requirements for the correct flow of information to Vaccinnet. In addition, the learning curve for new users getting started with Workflower is very flat.”
Tanja Derboven, Application Manager at AZ Klina
Patient vaccination registration
As a supplement to the electronic patient record, a similar solution can also be used to register one-time vaccinations of patients. Broadly speaking, the process works like this:
- When a patient in the hospital needs to be vaccinated, you select the patient in the patient record.
- A Workflower form is then opened via context integration: The patient data is retrieved from the hospital information system using the patient ID, and the form is pre-populated with this data.
- The next step is to scan the bar code on the vaccine’s packaging, and the vaccine data is then entered into the form automatically.
- This patient’s vaccination data is also sent to Vaccinnet. Using the patient ID, you collect all the data that Vaccinnet requires.
- Another handy feature is that a prescription is not required in advance. This way a vaccine can be administered promptly in departments that work with post-administration medication orders. Afterwards, you can demand the validation of the post-administration medication order via Workflower, so that all legal obligations are fulfilled.
Also considering implementing the vaccination solution or another Workflower process in your hospital? Do you have any questions about this process? Then please contact Frederik Lenaerts (firstname.lastname@example.org or call +32 495 46 57 73).